Frequently Asked Questions -FAQ

What are your hours?  


MRWMD Site Hours

Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Saturday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.


Office Hours

Monday- Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

For other facility hours see Hours and Directions Page


Where are you located?


The Monterey Peninsula Landfill and Resource Recovery Facilities are located at 14201 Del Monte Blvd., Marina, CA 93933

(Exit #412 off of Hwy. 1/ 2 miles North of the City of Marina)


Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1670, Marina CA 93933



Phone: 831-384-5313

For Additional Contacts See: Contact Us

What are your disposal fees?


The basic fee for mixed solid waste is $62 per ton with a $20 minimum charge. See the Disposal Fee Brochure  for other material fees.


Can anyone bring material in for disposal?


Yes, excluding material considered household hazardous waste.

The MRWMD Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Program serves residents and businesses who are within the MRWMD service area including: cities of Carmel-by-the-Sea, Del Rey Oaks, Marina, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Sand City, Seaside, and the unincorporated areas of Big Sur, Carmel Highlands, Carmel Valley, Castroville, Corral De Tierra, Laguna Seca, Moss Landing, Pebble Beach, San Benancio, and Toro Park.


Those outside of the MRWMD service area can contact their service provider for information on proper disposal. (For those living in Salinas and Salinas Valley contact Salinas Valley Solid Waste Authority at (831) 775-3000.)


I have an item to dispose of that I don’t see on your disposal fee, how do I learn if you will accept it?


Check our Disposal Fee Brochure, it includes items accepted and cost. If you still have questions call us for more information at 831-384-5313 ext. 6389


Can I bring my household products for disposal?


Residents within the District service area* may bring household hazardous waste (HHW) for proper disposal, free of chargento our Househould Hazardous Waste Collection Facility. HHW includes household batteries, paint, pesticides, motor oil, car batteries, pool chemicals, CFL bulbs, aerosols, acids, fuels, and caustics. California law prohibits the disposal of HHW in the trash.  See our Household Hazardous Waste Brochure for more information.


How do I prepare my loads?


All loads need to be safely secured and properly tarped; it’s the law, per California Vehicle Code #23114. Avoid FINES up to $1,000 and extra fees at the landfill.


For efficiency, if you are bringing reusables, recyclables and waste items together, it is recommended to load your material, so that you can deliver your reuseables and recyclables  to the respective areas on the site before going through the scales with your waste items.

What can I recycle at MRWMD?


You can “recycle” many different materials at MRWMD including the following:

  • Beverage bottles and cans with California Redemption Value

(We pay you at our Buy Back Center at the Last Chance Mercantile.)

  • Clean Paper & Cardboard, Plastics, Metals and Containers #1-#5 at the free recycling drop off area*. Note: Appliances must be taken to the scales for processing.
  • Electronics (Behind the Last Chance Mercantile)
  • Greenwaste(Landscape Trimmings), Scrap Lumber, Drywall, Concrete, Asphalt, Food Scraps and more. These materials would be brought to our scales. See the Disposal Fee Brochure for the reduced fees for the recycling of these materials.

Where do I donate my reusables?


We appreciate your donations of reusable items from clothes, housewares, furniture, building materials, and more. We accept donations Monday through Saturday , between 9 a.m. and

4 p.m. at the Last Chance Mercantile donation tent behind the store.


I have a resturant and would like to compost our foodscraps, how do I begin?
We invite you to visit website to learn more about the commercial foodscrap compost program. Generally the first step is to contact your waste and recycling hauler (e.g. Waste Management, GreenWaste Recovery and Monterey City Disposal) to learn more about their specific services.

What is the Last Chance Mercantile (LCM)?

The LCM is our reuse store. We sell useable items, which have been recovered from the incoming waste stream, or which have been donated. Shoppers find an ever changing inventory of interesting wares and materials. It is one of the favorite places to shop on the Peninsula. At the LCM, you will also find Electronics Recycling Drop Off, Compost and Landscape supplies.


Like the LCM’s Facebook page, and be updated of the most interesting items that become available.

What kind of products do you have?


We sell finished OMRI certified organic compost, wood chips made from recycled lumber, top soil and potting soil. You can buy these products in bulk (by the ton) at the MRWMD Scales or by the self serve bag at the Last Chance Mercantile. You can also purchase aggregates, rock and sand from Don Chapin Company located at our site, M-F only. Contact them for more information. At 831-776-6119.


Do you carry compost bins and supplies?


We carry home composting supplies including a backyard bin (The Soil Saver) and a worm composting bin (The Wriggley Ranch).  We also make available a food scrap collection container, compost thermometers, a worm composting book and “how to” guides. We offer free compost workshops through out the year too.

Who do I call if I have a question about my trash or recycle collection?


You will want to contact your service provider directly. See our contacts page for contact information. If you have more specific questions about California’s mandatory commercial recycling (AB341), construction and demolition recycling (CalGreen) or organics recycling (AB1826) requirements you can contact us and/or learn more at


We have a food service business and want to compost our food scraps. What do we do?
We invite you to visit website to learn more about the commercial foodscrap compost program. Generally the first step is to contact your waste and recycling hauler (e.g. Waste Management, GreenWaste Recovery and Monterey City Disposal) to learn more about their specific services.

Do you provide tours? Yes, we provide tours to student groups, the public and professional groups. Please see our Education and Media page  or contact our Public Education and outreach staff at (831)-264-6391 to learn more.


How do I register for a compost or other workshop?

You can register on-line at

Do you provide presentations to community groups and student groups?

Yes, our staff provides presentations and information on topics such as recycling, composting and of course our agency and programs and services. We will taylor the topic to your group or event.

Are you a public agency?


Do you have a Board? Yes, we have a nine-member MRWMD Board which includes a representative from each of the municipalities within the District boundaries, one to represent unincorporated Monterey County within the District, and a “director-at-large” representing the Pebble Beach Community Services District. The public is welcome to attend the MRWMD Board board meetings (see calendar) held once a month; the third Friday at 9:30 a.m.


Who represents me?

An official is appointed from your jurisdiction to represent you.

Please see our Board of Directors page to learn who your current representative is.

Who do we contact if we have questions about your agency?

You can contact our Administrative staff at 831-264-6388 and will be referred to the appropriate staff.

I am interested in working for MRWMD, where do I find more information about job openings and positions? Please visit our Human Resources Page for job postings, descriptions and applications.